Published: 12:00 AM, Tue Jan 24, 2012
Failed 'Clash at Cameron' hoops showcase costs South View, Seventy-First schools thousands
South View and Seventy-First High Schools are both waiting for reimbursement of money the schools paid to take part in the ill-fated Clash at Cameron high school basketball showcase last month.
The event was originally scheduled for Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium but had to be moved when the NCAA ruled it and a similar event scheduled at Kentucky's Rupp Arena couldn't be held there.
Fayetteville State's Capel Arena wound up hosting the Cameron showcase.
According to published reports in the Wilmington Star News, the showcase was promoted by Bleid Sports. The paper reported that Bleid's North Carolina representative, Matthew Moyer, got North Carolina high schools to commit $17,050 to the event. According to the paper, Moyer cleaned out an expense account at Bleid and disappeared with $67,000, leaving nine North Carolina high schools unpaid for their part in the showcase.
Leon Mack, student activities director for the Cumberland County Schools, said he had confirmed South View is owed $2,750 while Seventy-First is owed $1,000.
Mack said he had reservations about both schools entering the event last year since they were asked to pay money up front and recoup their costs by fundraisers and ad sales in the event program.
Mack said none of the money involved came from either school's general athletic fund. Both schools held fundraising events to come up with the needed funds.
The reason Seventy-First owes less money is because the school did not pay the remainder of a down payment it was asked for prior to the showcase, according to boys' basketball coach David Simmons. "I'm glad I didn't,'' Simmons said.
South View athletic director David Culbreth said his school raised its entry fee the same way. "This was money the basketball teams raised,'' Culbreth said. "They can spend it on whatever they want.''
Both Culbreth and Simmons said they had been in contact with a representative of Bleid Sports about getting the money returned.
"They've been real transparent with us,'' Culbreth said. "The guy hasn't tried to dodge any questions. He's working on getting us the money.''
Mack said what happened to South View and Seventy-First will make the county hesitant to allow schools to take part in any similar ventures in the future. "We probably need to insure we scrutinize it a little closely when any outside entity is looking to have our schools participate in any type of athletic event of this nature,'' he said.
Scholastic sports editor Earl Vaughan Jr. can be reached at email@example.com or 486-3519.